Omni Military Loans Blog:
DIY Car Repairs
Sometimes a military household’s car needs a tune-up, but it isn’t worth going to the mechanic. There are many situations where this is the case, and taking general maintenance upon yourself can save you time and money.
If you need to keep your car fighting fit, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty to get it rolling again. In fact, your local MWR office may have a facility you can use to make DIY car repairs even easier.
The outside of a car says a lot about you. While the exterior of your everyday vehicle may not hold up against the elements quite like a Humvee, there are some things that you can do to ensure it continues to look nice.
- Wash your car regularly – Keeping your car clean will not only make it appear new, but it will also have a positive effect on how it holds up in the long run. This is especially true in colder climates, as snow, salt and sand can create rust and corrosion.
- Keep tires inflated – This will help keep your gas mileage at a good level, and it will also prevent your tires from popping. Having an inflation gauge around is handy. There are free pumps at most gas stations, and your car’s manual will have information on the ideal tire pressure.
Interior problems can be easily fixed
Keeping an eye on the inside of the car is also important. Plenty of issues can exist on the interior, but many are fixable.
- Upholstery tears – The upholstery of a vehicle can start to look tired after everyday wear and tear. Luckily, there are many kits available at your local hardware store, commissary or Exchange.
Looking under the hood
There are also plenty of things you can do yourself when it comes to fluid changes.
- Change the oil – This should happen every 3,000 miles, or how long your car manual recommends. The process may be tricky at first, but it could be easy once you get the hang of it. It will also keep your car running healthier and longer.
- Keep windshield wiper fluid filled – This is one of the easiest tasks. Check regularly to make sure there is enough, as you don’t want to run out right when you need it.
Getting your vehicle repaired can be costly. Let our military auto loan experts expedite your application and get you and your family back on the road. Omni is here to help make sure your car or truck is a smooth ride right from the start.