If you recently found out that it is time for a Permanent Change of Station (PCS), then it’s time to prepare your belongings, family and finances. This could be both an exciting and stressful time, so you will want to make certain that everything is in line for the transition.
Before the move
It is important for military families to know what to take care of before they actually embark on their journey. While the military may have many things organized for you, you still need to ensure your family is ready for such a significant transition.
- Don’t forget anything– If you can, pack well in advance. This gives you enough time to examine everything that you plan to bring, and reduces the chance that you will leave anything behind.
- Keep children in mind – Moves can be especially stressful for children, so it’s important to keep them comfortable and ensure they’re involved during your move. Try to get them excited about the move by looking at photos and videos of the new location. Encourage them to exchange contact information with their friends so they can keep in touch.
- Make sure documentation is in order – This is important, as you may be traveling to a new country, where proper identification is needed for your whole family. Gather documents, including passports, Social Security cards, mortgages and insurance policies and put them in a safe place. The last thing you want to do is put these items in your moving boxes.
After the move
Once you move to a new area, here are some things you can do that will help you and your family adjust and become more comfortable with your surroundings.
- Take advantage of military assistance – There are many resources available to help military families adjust to a new area and these are good to use when you are trying to get acclimated.
- Help your family get used to the area – It is important that everyone gets back to their normal routine the best they can. While you may be doing things slightly differently, it could be better if family members take the time to do things that are important to them, as this may improve adjustment.
Omni Financial may not be able to help you pack your items, but we can help you if you are ever in need of financial advice. If you are in a money crunch, and don’t know where to turn, you may want to take advantage of speaking with a representative.