Summer goes by all too fast. If the season has seemed to pass you by, don’t worry. There is still some time left to capture that last bit of summer magic and make memories that will last a lifetime. Here are six inexpensive activities that the whole family will enjoy. Get inspired, get moving and have some fun!
6 Activities for Last-Minute Summer Fun
- Shop at a local farm or farmers’ market – There is nothing like locally-grown fresh produce. Take a trip to a nearby farm or farmers’ market and bring home farm fresh eggs and in-season fruit and vegetables. Even better? Find a pick-your-own farm where the entire family can spend the day harvesting a bounty of nutritious goodies. You’ll also be helping support regional agriculture.
- Get wet – In most parts of the country, the end of summer marks the end of the swimming season. Take this opportunity to visit a beach, a lake, or your town pool. If you are feeling more adventurous, go kayaking, tubing or white water rafting, or head to a water park where you and the family can cool off on thrilling slides and rides.
- Throw a summer movie marathon – Gather family and friends together and host a blockbuster summer movie marathon. Serve popcorn and drinks and sit back and enjoy your favorite flicks from summers past.
- Visit a national park – Move everyone away from the computers, tablets, and video games and get back to nature by visiting a national park. Take a day trip or spend a weekend taking in all the stunning beauty that America’s parks have to offer. Military personnel can get a free annual pass that covers entrance fees for over 2,000 federal recreation sites including national parks, national forests and grasslands, and national wildlife refuges.
- Have a backyard camp out – You don’t need to head to the mountains to enjoy a night under the stars. A patch of grass in your backyard will do just fine. Play games, toast marshmallows, tell ghost stories, sing songs, and do other traditional camping activities just steps away from your home. This Pinterest post has some other great backyard camping ideas.
- Indulge in friendly competition – Work up a sweat while having fun. Go to a local park and play a game of kickball, softball, or basketball. Turn your yard into an outdoor recreation center and compete in soccer, badminton, or horseshoes. Have a water balloon fight or challenge the kids to a classic game of tag or hide-and-seek. If you want to really get creative, create a carnival of DIY backyard games with these ideas from Pinterest.
With a little bit of planning, you can make the most out of these last carefree days of summer. Keep busy, have a blast, and end the season spending special time with your family and friends.
The information provided in this blog post is for informational purposes only.
02/03/2023 – Blog reviewed for accuracy; 08/24/2015 – Blog was made live.
Friendship Rewards Program
Refer a friend and get a $25 Omni Gift Card